Annons:
Tag:ย general-discussion
Read 2004 times
Niklas
2020-03-17 13:13

What to do when the atomic clock goes haywire?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

One of our always reliable radio controlled clocks decided to tell the time almost exactly four hours late all of a sudden. It gets the time from some atomic clock in Germany and has done a great job for fifteen years. I have replaced the battery and put it in a window to make sure it's reached by the German radio signals. It made no difference. I don't understand how it can malfunction the way it does. The only remedy I can think of is open it and move the hour hand four hours forward. What would you do?

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Annons:
[Joab]
2020-03-17 14:03

Is there any button for selecting the time zone? There should be. The clock can not know its time zone by itself?

Niklas
2020-03-18 09:53

That's good thinking! I can't see buttons or other ways to make any settings. Perhaps they program them for the market they are sold in. Most of Europe is the same time zone. Or they only sell them in markets with German time. ๐Ÿ™‚ The German radio signals probably can't reach the whole globe.

[Joab]
2020-03-18 10:29

Is that a reset button, in the middle, at the battery symbol? If so, I assume you have tried it several times? :-)

Niklas
2020-03-18 10:55

I don't think it is. At first it looked like that kind of hole, but in it there seems to be some plastic cover or something.

[Joab]
2020-03-18 12:21

I see. Western Europe has 3 different time zones, so I still find it a bit strange that the time zone can not be set. Now I am out of ideas!

Niklas
2020-03-18 13:11

You're right! I forgot that Finland and all countries south of them is another time zone. ๐Ÿ™‚ I appreciate you trying to Help.

Annons:
[Joab]
2020-03-20 11:24

Remove the battery, short the battery terminals with a metal clip. Any charge on any capacitor now disappears. Reinsert battery after 24 hours.

Niklas
2020-03-20 12:35

I have had it laying in the window for a few days and now it is suddenly working again! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Maybe it just had a shortage of vitamin D and needed a little sun. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I will keep your trick in mind if it starts acting up again. Thanks!

Tom
2022-01-26 18:31

I've had the exact same clock and when the battery was near empty the clock moved the hour hand four hours to show it's time to change the battery. After changing the battery it could take a few days for it to get the radio signal to set the clock. The reception for the atomic clock signals are very weak here. Most radio controlled clocks doesn't work at all. I have three different radio controlled clocks I have to set manually. Nowadays I rely on internet time :-)

Niklas
2022-01-26 18:55

For us the clocks usually gets the right time in the first night after a battery replacement.

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย