Annons:
Tagfitness-trackers
Read 1990 times
Evelina
2018-07-01 04:09

New purchase - Garmin Vivoactive 3 Fitness Watch

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I went up to Sugar Pine Reservoir with my family for a day trip to go fishing and hiking for my Mom's birthday. The loop that goes around the lake is about 3.8 miles. We arrived to the lake at 8am, and I decided right away that I was going to walk around the lake twice in order to get a nice workout in. It wasn't too hot yet, so it was perfect. I told my family, if I'm not back in an hour than be worried. Laughing out loud My oldest brother was like I run that loop in 45 min, you won't make it back before an hour. I was like "oh, you just wait!".  I actually jogged it rather than walking because I was feeling pretty good. Mind you I haven't jogged in like 2 years, I normally stick to yoga, strength training, walking, and cycling. But, I made it back in an hour! I initially thought the loop was only 3.4 miles (that's what the website says) rather than 3.8 miles. However, my brother said he left ten minutes after me and thought he could catch up with me. When he got back, he checked is Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch which has GPS and it turns out it is actually 3,8 miles. 

We got to talking about his watch and I realised that I wanted one too! So I just picked one up at REI for 270$. It is a much cheaper price tag than the Apple watch and better in many ways for me personally. For example, Apple watch does not come with GPS and is not water resistant. Plus, the Vivowatch is half the price! 

Sugar Pine Reservoir Dam

My selling point was that my brother told me that you can track your yoga activity through the watch! I can't wait to test out the watch, however I woke up extremely sore today. I ended up walking the loop again since my Dad wanted to walk it. In the end of the day I ended up going a whole 10.6 miles! Laughing

Annons:
Niklas
2018-07-01 19:38

You ran a little over 12 kilometers in under an hour? That is fast for someone who hasn't gone jogging in a couple of years. Good job!

It will be interesting to hear more about the watch when you have had time to try it out more.

The latest Apple Watch starts at 399 USD, is water-resistant to 50 meters, has GPS and built-in SIM card. It's not the right fit for everyone though.

» Apple Watch - Space Gray Aluminum Case with Gray Sport Band - Apple

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-07-01 19:53

Oh no! haha I went 6,11 kilometers in an hour! But later on I walked it with my dad, so in total by the end of the day I ended up going  17.5 kilometers. We were fishing about 1 kilometer away from the outhouse and where we had parked. Laughing

It seemed to have tracked my sleep pretty well. And it is really comfortable! I just wore it while I did yoga for over an hour! 

That is great info! I didn't realise apple's watches were 300$. For some reason I had the idea that they were 500$, but that must have been old information I read. 

I have 90 days to return this one, although I leave the US in a week an half, so I'll have to decide if I like it before then. I am mostly concerned about the fact that it is white and I don't want it to become discoloured. And I am bit disappointed in the resolution.

Evelina
2018-07-01 20:14

I found a comparison article for the two watches. 

https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/apple-watch-series-3-vs-garmin-vivoactive-3-8712

A couple differences between the two: 

Garmin (Vivoactive 3) tracks sleep and stress levels, whereas Series 3 does not. 

Garmin offers the ability to track yoga as a fitness activity, whereas Series 3 does not. One has to go into Series 3 and add yoga as an 'other workout' and rename it. In general, Garmin has loads more to offer regarding workout activities, such as skiing, strength training, yoga etc. 

Garmin proclaims to have a better battery life, however this definitely depends on how one uses the watch and which settings you have it on. I have the screen set to 10% brightness, for instance. 

Garmin Vivoactive 3 has a more sporty interface, and a noticeably lower resolution than the Series 3. Garmin Vivoactive is available in 3 different metals/color combinations. Two black ones- black/chrome, black/stainless steel and white/stainless steel. I have the white/stainless steel and I am already becoming anxious with potential discolouration of the band. 

Series 3 has a square interface with different color options, such as rose gold. It is arguably more stylish and offers interchangeable wrist straps. 

Series 3 offers a more expensive option of having a sim-card, which provides the option for more notifications, calls etc, and music storage.

Niklas
2018-07-02 08:51

Thanks for the comparison! I don't think you necessarily had old information about Apple Watch pricing. They start at about 300 USD but can get very expensive depending on what material and wrist straps you choose. I have the anodized aluminum one. It's the cheapest Apple watch material, but I haven't found any downsides to it even after three years of daily use.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-07-16 11:12

I just realised that Garmin Vivoactive 3 doesn't have the open swim feature! Apparently the Apple watch does. Have you used it?

Niklas
2018-07-16 13:13

I have seen that it's there but never used it. I'm not that organized in the water. If there was a “Moving aimlessly in body temperature water,” I might try it.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2018-07-16 13:17
Scroll to top
Annons: