Annons:
Tagcomputers-laptops
Read 2417 times
Leia
2019-06-24 13:12

The best external hard drive for MacBook?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Hello!

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for an external hard drive that I can use with my MacBook (I think I remembering hearing that some aren't always compatible and are made for PC).

I'm looking for one that is portable and convenient for travel. It will mostly be used to store pictures and videos from my iPhone, Camera and GoPro! Ideally, I wouldn't want to spend more than £70.

Thanking you in advance 🙂

Photo by Kari Shea on Unsplash

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-06-24 13:29

There are lots of options. Fortunately storage is cheap nowadays. How much storage space do you need, or don’t you know? How large is the disk storage capacity of your MacBook (Click the Apple symbol in the menu and choose “About this Mac”)? Is that a MacBook or a MacBook Pro?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-06-25 00:52

If it is only to store videos and photos, then perhaps something like this from Seagate?

You would have to format the drive though, which can be done with these steps (from Apple Stack Exchange)

1. Connect the drive to your Mac
  2. Open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility
  3. On the left hand side of Disk Utility you'll see a list of drives. Find your external drive and select it.
  4. Select the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the format and give it a name
  5. Press the Erase button to kick off the process. NOTE: This will erase everything currently on the hard drive!
Niklas
2019-06-25 13:16

#2: Depending on what MacBook model she has, a USB-C drive may be better. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-06-25 15:03

I have the 2017 Apple MacBook Air 13in i5 8GB 256GB if that helps!

All the best, Leia

Niklas
2019-06-25 16:39

The 2017 MacBook Air has regular USB ports. The one Jordan recommended works. If you don't want to reformat it for MacOS you can get one like this:

» Seagate 1 TB Backup Plus Slim USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac

It's five pounds more, but you can get in red. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-06-26 00:34

#5 I didn't know they did Mac ready ones! I would definitely go for the one in red in that caseLaughing out loud

Annons:
Niklas
2019-06-26 09:38

😄

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-06-27 18:23

That’s great Thankyou! 💻

All the best, Leia

[Joab]
2019-08-23 10:52

By chance, I found this fairly new "Best external hard drives for Macs in 2019" article. I post it here, even if this thread is not new.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-external-hard-drives-for-mac

Scroll to top
Annons: