general-discussion

What to do when the atomic clock goes haywire?

2020-03-17 12:13 #0 by: Niklas

One of our always reliable radio controlled clocks decided to tell the time almost exactly four hours late all of a sudden. It gets the time from some atomic clock in Germany and has done a great job for fifteen years.

I have replaced the battery and put it in a window to make sure it's reached by the German radio signals. It made no difference. I don't understand how it can malfunction the way it does. The only remedy I can think of is open it and move the hour hand four hours forward.

What would you do?

2020-03-17 13:03 #1 by: Joab

Is there any button for selecting the time zone? There should be. The clock can not know its time zone by itself?

2020-03-18 08:53 #2 by: Niklas

That's good thinking! I can't see buttons or other ways to make any settings. Perhaps they program them for the market they are sold in. Most of Europe is the same time zone. Or they only sell them in markets with German time. 🙂 The German radio signals probably can't reach the whole globe.

2020-03-18 09:29 #3 by: Joab

Is that a reset button, in the middle, at the battery symbol? If so, I assume you have tried it several times? :-)

2020-03-18 09:55 #4 by: Niklas

I don't think it is. At first it looked like that kind of hole, but in it there seems to be some plastic cover or something.

2020-03-18 11:21 #5 by: Joab

I see. Western Europe has 3 different time zones, so I still find it a bit strange that the time zone can not be set. Now I am out of ideas!

2020-03-18 12:11 #6 by: Niklas

You're right! I forgot that Finland and all countries south of them is another time zone. 🙂 I appreciate you trying to help.

2020-03-20 10:24 #7 by: Joab

Remove the battery, short the battery terminals with a metal clip. Any charge on any capacitor now disappears. Reinsert battery after 24 hours.

There is anohter comment in this discussion. It is, however, only visible for logged in members. To read the comment, log in or register to become a member.